Wednesday, March 08, 2006

R.I.P. Redux























Crap:

Ali Farka Toure: 1939-2006:

According to CMJ:

"...The Associated Press reported that in Mali, in response to Tour√©’s death, radio stations suspended regular broadcasts and played his music instead. It was announced on Malian state radio that he will be buried in Niafunk√©, the village where he spent much of his childhood and where he was mayor until his death..."


I had the immense fortune of seeing this man perform live a few years ago. For three hours.

Blew. My. Mind.

One of the greatest guitarists and composers who ever lived. The world would be a far, far better place if everyone chilled out, dropped everything and bought every album he ever recorded.

I really hope that I can stop having to write potted obituaries for the next few weeks at least. This is starting to piss me off...