Wednesday, March 08, 2006

R.I.P. Redux























Crap:

Ali Farka Toure: 1939-2006:

According to CMJ:

"...The Associated Press reported that in Mali, in response to Touré’s death, radio stations suspended regular broadcasts and played his music instead. It was announced on Malian state radio that he will be buried in Niafunké, the village where he spent much of his childhood and where he was mayor until his death..."


I had the immense fortune of seeing this man perform live a few years ago. For three hours.

Blew. My. Mind.

One of the greatest guitarists and composers who ever lived. The world would be a far, far better place if everyone chilled out, dropped everything and bought every album he ever recorded.

I really hope that I can stop having to write potted obituaries for the next few weeks at least. This is starting to piss me off...